Pizza Hut is only one American pizza vendor. There's Papa Johns, Dominos, and Little Caesars--to say nothing of the local pizza joints serving up splendid treats. If we conservatively assume 4 major vendors, each serving 2 million pies, Americans will easily consume over 8 million pizzas this Superbowl Sunday. That's in addition to the 1.23 Billion Chicken Wings (that's billion with a "B"...) TBC (to be consumed) as reported by USA today.
Let's look at this through our SS lenses which want us to compel kids to "civic action." Here's a quick outline for a relevant SS - Civic Action lesson: Present students with the facts and ask them what they think.
- Use this USA Today article as a "seed text." (Or, find a more recent one if you can.) This text comes in at a Fleisch Kincade HS level appropriate for 11th-12th grade.
- Hold an "evidence-based discussion" and see what their reaction is. Do they see this as a national economic shot in the arm? Do they see this event as a social holiday or dietary travesty? Your EQ could be: How does the Superbowl Affect America and Americans?
- After the discussion, ask them what other questions they have. Aggregate the questions and ask them all to choose 2 or 3 to investigate. Each investigation becomes their own "inquiry path."
- Proceed to your library for a short-term research project to look up additional facts, research, and to dig deeper into the affect of the Superbowl upon Americans. - Make no bones about it: This is a major economic event. Calculate the expenditures for your locality alone.
- As a learning concierge, guide the question brainstorming to include other geographic areas that are suffering from famine. (Have pictures queued-up?)
- Final knowledge product suggestions: Infographic to inform and advocate in the form of an Evidence-based Claim? Evidence-based discussion and debate. Local advocacy: "Skip a pizza - Feed the Poor?"
- Let students extrapolate the impact of  million homes replacing the cost of one pizza with a donation. How many hungry people could we feed with that sum?
I just did it. I don't need the 300 calories in 1 slice. I have my Rotel and Velveeta I can munch. Enjoy the game and... your wings!
Here are three good links, in case you're convicted.