Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Librarians, Football Fields & Unemployment Costs

I love apple pie.  I love football.  I love to read and I love kids.  What I don't like is when districts, who are in the education business, turn their "likes" into priorities.  We have more than one district in our area who invested in multi-million dollar football fields and have cut educational programs.    If my educational priorities were based upon what I like, my school would have reading, library, music and old-fashioned Home Economics to learn to bake old-fashioned apple pie!   Forget  3.14   I want a pie slice with an arch-length measure of 3.14. 

Apple Pie will not deliver the Common Core priorities, but reading and research will.  So, why are so many educators cutting elementary librarians when CCSS writing standards 6,7,8,9, and 10 say to Research to Build and Present Knowledge?  

No comments:

Post a Comment